Namaste and Welcome

I see you have chosen well, but be warned that my blog is exactly as it states... ramblings. You won't find this blog overly political, religious or much anything else. I write for me. Well, I write for you, the audience as well, but mainly for me. Would it surprise you to know that I've been keeping a hard diary since 1986? (yeah, I just dated myself.) Well, writing in the book has become painful, so I blog. I have many blogs on other sites, which is why this blog only has a mere few, but do know that I plan on maintaining this blog a bit more. I will probably not post a picture or use real names of any of my friends or family, if the blogs turn to that nature. There, you are forewarned.

Please do subscribe and enjoy the mindless babblings of the one otherwise known as Onyx of Darklite.......

Oh, and hey, would you mind feeding my fish at the bottom of the screen? Thanks!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Prepping for the Journey

Getting time off work is a challenge for me.  There are only three of us in my department.  That isn't to say that the guys are opposed to covering for me, but that means that no one will really get a day off for the next 6 days.  I've done it for each of them, more than once.  I think payback is in order. :)

I've already got most of my stuff packed and ready to go.  I'll be taking some pillows, too.  Who knows what my dad has out there with him.  He lives on ten acres in the middle of nowhere outside Reno.  When I was a kid, we lived in a suburb called Silver Knolls, and back in the day THAT was in the middle of nowhere.  Now, there are industrial buildings and a small shopping plaza with a pizza place and a salon.  The place where we used to ride out bikes we lovingly called "the pits" is now filled with warehouses of all sorts.  There used to be just one, JC Penny.  Now, one cannot go through the short cut way, through the pits to get to the other side, that I know of.  My dad lives way beyond Silver Knolls.

There are times when I fear that even that region will one day become a minor metropolis, not that any of the current residents will ever agree to that.  They live out there because they want to get away from civilization and live in a quiet, peaceful area of the world.  And, they do.  It is very quiet there. I have yet to spend a night there, but I think that being able to see a full sky of stars once more will be just what I need to once again feel connected to the universe.  I haven't seen that since the last time I lived in Silver Knolls... 20 years or more ago.

Gas will be a pain, but well worth the trip.  I plan on seeing many friends while I am there.  I also plan on going out with my brother.  He called me up specifically and said, "Let's do something while you're here!"  I can't wait. Perhaps we shall go play some black jack or something.  I haven't done that in two years, either.

I can say that even though I am looking forward to seeing my immediate family, I am not looking forward to seeing my extended family.  They have never really enjoyed my company, and I have never really known why.  It might be simply because I enjoyed being a little different when I was younger.  I always wore black.  My dad thought I had joined a cult or something.  I just laughed and said no.  My family doesn't really know the true meaning of individual expression.

That's ok, though.  I have plenty of friends that I will see while I am there, and they will all be glad to see me.  If I thought I could get a good paying job and an inexpensive place to live, I would probably move back.  There is nothing for me in Boise, really.  How I got here is a long story for another blog... maybe.

Anyway, so I'll be leaving work early today so I can finish getting things ready.  I have to clean out my car, finish packing and attempt to clean my house a little.  I need to clean Neelix's cage as it is really stinking something fierce.  Which reminds me, I need to get a new package of bedding.  That's probably why I haven't cleaned it in a while.. lol...poor thing.....

While I'm in Reno I'll be picking up some post cards for my soldiers.  I figured, why the heck not, as long as I'm traveling, I should go ahead and do it.  A few of the other Angels are making post card books for their soldiers.  What a lovely idea.  Perhaps I will do that in the future.  For now, some friends of mine are making hand-crafted Valentine's for my soldiers.  I sent off some Valentine's Day cards for another angel or three.  I really enjoy doing this.  I can't wait to send off the Valentine's care package to my soldier.  I hope he enjoys them.  Anyway, it seems I am going off on a tangent....

I'll leave you for now with a nifty little quote I found on the internet:

"While we honor all our mothers
With words of love and praise
While we tell about their goodness
And their kind and loving ways
We should also think of grandma
She's a mother, too, you see
For she mothered my dear mother
As my mother mothers me!"

Author Unknown

Have a  most wonderful day and remember to give your Grandmother a hug or a call.  You never know when the last time is when you'll see them.

::end transmission::

2 comments:

  1. So I haven't been online much in last week or two, but I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds like she was a very interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much siesb88. She was a wonderful woman who will be missed terribly. It has been two weeks since the funeral and I still can't believe she's gone.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind and be heard....