Namaste and Welcome

I see you have chosen well, but be warned that my blog is exactly as it states... ramblings. You won't find this blog overly political, religious or much anything else. I write for me. Well, I write for you, the audience as well, but mainly for me. Would it surprise you to know that I've been keeping a hard diary since 1986? (yeah, I just dated myself.) Well, writing in the book has become painful, so I blog. I have many blogs on other sites, which is why this blog only has a mere few, but do know that I plan on maintaining this blog a bit more. I will probably not post a picture or use real names of any of my friends or family, if the blogs turn to that nature. There, you are forewarned.

Please do subscribe and enjoy the mindless babblings of the one otherwise known as Onyx of Darklite.......

Oh, and hey, would you mind feeding my fish at the bottom of the screen? Thanks!

Friday, April 1, 2011

My Work With Soldiers' Angels

Every time I visit the SA website I cringe.  There are so many heroes waiting to be adopted.   There is just so much that one Angel can do.  I currently have two adopted heroes.  I had three, but one unadopted himself.  Ok, I thought.  No problem.  That leaves me free to join a few more teams and spread myself out a little bit more.  So, I joined the Chaplains Support Team.

Now, I was a little skeptical about this at first, afterall, anyone who knows me knows that I am on a Pagan path, not a Christian or Jewish one.  The team leader assured me that my contributions to the team are definitely welcome, so I went ahead and joined.  I wasn't let down.  So far I have sent off a few letters to Chaplains as well as sent several books for Operation Story Time.  The heroes get to record themselves reading a storybook for their children and it gets sent way of DVD, I believe.  I think it is very admirable.  Another set of books will go out on the 11th.

I have also stepped up my work with the Letter Writing Team.  I was getting three names per week, but opted for 14 names.  Two per day.  I think that will start as of tomorrow, but I'm not sure.  With over 1600 heroes waiting for adoption, I figured that I could at least send out letters.  I finally found my whatchamacallit (wait, that didn't set off the spell check???)  you know, the little tiny thing that one puts into the usb port to transfer information.  I am drawing a complete blank.  If fits on my keychain.  Anyway, I finally found it so now I will be able to type my letters and go to Copy Max to print them out.  I've included pictures as well.  Kind of what you guys get to read on my blogs, only more well written.. lol..

In addition to all that I still pick up TLC names whenever I feel like I have the extra money to send a care package.  Granted they are what I call "mini care packages" the smallest flat rate box, but boy, can one cram a LOT of stuff in that little thing!  I also have flat rate envelopes that I can pack full as well.

I know there is at least one other Angel in my area and we are friends on Facebook, but I still feel all alone out here.  That's ok, though because there is so much support from the team leaders and the SA forums and the FB group pages.  What I really want to do is set up a booth at the TVW garage sale that is coming up in a few weeks.  It would definitely be a start to getting the word out.  I have finally ordered some SA cards, and I will be posting those around town on the messages boards and stuff.

Why did I join SA?  I wanted to do something more than just things for myself.  I wanted to teach Raven that there is more to this world that our own little world.  And, honestly, I wanted something to do in my spare time.  I am the kind of girl who like to work behind the scenes. I'm not an upfront person, so this is the perfect opportunity for me to make a difference in someone's life without having to be in their face about it.

If you are interested in joining this wonderful organization, please visit Soldiers' Angels.  There are many options for helping our heroes overseas, even if it is sending a one-time care package.

I will close with a quote that I found rather interesting:

"I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom. " ~~Bob Dylan


Blessed Be

2 comments:

Speak your mind and be heard....